Tuesday, October 1, 2013

This Life Takes a Turn ... to Church

Because I can't "do God" alone.

And as an introvert

I have tried and tried and tried some more.

Only to fall off the God "wagon" every 6 months or so.

Where does one go when they fall off the God "wagon"?

Well, for me it means picking some odd obscure religion/faith and studying that like mad to see if that's the perfect one for me, or even trying to be an Atheist for a week - boring and believing in nothing and/or science when you can't even do simple math - just not for me and the long-term comfort feeling was lacking,

When the Book says the path is narrow .... they could mention that it also feels like you are walking it blind folded if you are walking it all by yourself.

I didn't grow up in church so I have spent years trying to find "the perfect one for me"

Shout out to parents [who don't have internet and will never read this] - they were awesome and I had a pretty easy childhood.  I have never had the courage to ask them why they don't seem to have a particular faith - although I remember my Aunt saying my Father has been saved as a young boy - they just didn't do Church.

...the perfect one for me

One that balances my need for God and social justice and blah blah blah.

What I have realized and what I literally think God whispered in my ear last Saturday night when I was hemming and hawing between a liturgical church and a modern church - the thing I finally realized [and through God whispering in my ear] is there is no such thing as the perfect church - because church is made up of people and people screw up - so just pick one already.

So I picked one already and this coming Sunday they have a class for people new to this church and I am going and signing up - add my name, here's my email, here's my phone number, you need a volunteer  just call me

Because I can't "do" God alone

Because I need to be part of something that is bigger than me

Because I need to get out of my own way and out of my own head 

Because I need to trust a God I can't always see but can sometimes feel

Because I need to believe a story of a Son hanging on a cross to free me

Because I believe in a love only God can give me




No comments:

Post a Comment