Sunday, September 15, 2013

Why I am not a Vegan Anymore

After 5 weeks of the Vegan lifestyle ... I am no longer a Vegan.

Why?  After all I have read about the health benefits!  After all I have read about what is in our food! After all I have read about the treatment of animals and the treatment of workers in the slaughterhouses!

I know!  [insert forehead slap here]

There are two reasons why I have gone back the basic American diet:

  • Husband and I have very few hobbies that we enjoy together.  I love Star Wars - he doesn't understand why "vehicles fly in space and guys swirl around laser swords".  
    • One thing we have always enjoyed together is food, eating out, cooking a great meal at home - part of our relationship - a very strong part of our bond revolves around food - the breaking of bread at our table.  By being a Vegan - I took myself out of that part of our life we enjoy. 
    •  He was very supportive of my choices and in no way influenced my current decision.  Basically, I missed that part of us.  Our restaurant choices were limited ... I got tired of ending up at a salad joint and felt guilty for "making him eat rabbit food once again".  He does enjoy veggies but not as his only food.  
    • I wanted our food life to be simple and to be a couple making those food decisions.
  • I started focusing on my weight.  During that time as a Vegan I lost a bit of weight [nice] - bought some new clothes [very nice] BUT also became focused on losing weight and started calling foods either "good" or "bad". [This food is from nature it's good - this food has preservatives in it - it's bad]  
    • I stopped being perfectly happy with the body I had and started focusing on what I thought was wrong - well "hello" eating disorder from my past...haven't seen you in several years.  
    • I could tell my days revolved around eating just the right "good" thing - I stopped being happy.
    • It has taken me many turns around the sun to be happy with the body God gave me - I refuse for my own mental/physical health to start calling food "good" or "bad" or start focusing on my weight again.

I am not sure what to do about the guilt I feel about the animals.  But I am talking to God about this whole thing because I really don't know what else to do.  I think I will keep the blog - I have renamed it to "Just Living This Life" 

Peace.

~K


6 comments:

  1. Kelly, I certainly understand much of your reasoning. Fin and I have many of the same complications about our diet. On my own, I will eat meat once or twice a week. He would eat filet mignon every night. I've been gluten/wheat free for over a year. The other thing he would eat every night is spaghetti. On pasta nights, I cook two pastas. As for the meat, the best I can do (and it's pretty difficult in the wilds of Mississippi) is to look for meat that is certified humane, I try to buy eggs from local farmers and overall just do the best I can to source animal products from sources that make an effort to treat their animals well. When I can't do that I just take a deep breath and buy what we need. Good luck continuing to find the balance that is great for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany, thank you for your comment. It's finding a balance - I like that point you have made.

      Delete
  2. Well argued with yourself and valid points - each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, like the way Bethany put it - it's about balance. We still can make conscious eating choices, be aware of what we put in our mouths and how it affects the planet overall. I'm sort of a "part-time" vegetarian. It's easy for me to not eat beef and pork, and to eat only poultry and fish occasionally. But when I come across some good German bratwurst (made of pork), I'll eat it for the childhood memories. My choice. And if I have salmon, I stay away from the Chinese, farm-raised ( = chicken poop fed) salmon. My choice.

    You gotta do what's right for you...at the right time for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixel, that's a great thought pattern. At this time I am just not ready for an "all or nothing" approach...doing the best I can is where I am at.

      Delete