Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Cravings? What Cravings! ... No really.

In my former "food life" I was a junk food junkie.

There was always room in my life for what we more commonly refer to as junk food .... I really did live by the rule "better living through food chemistry".  The prettier and more attractive the packaging and preservatives the better.

I had read several times in recent memory that food chemists engineered junk food to become practically addictive.  The right combination of sugar, fat and salt and BAM -> "we can't eat just one"

Click here -> for more info:  The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food by Michael Moss [NY Times article]

Once I took all the "packaged" food out of my diet ... without even noticing at first ... but did eventually notice two things:

  • I do not feel as hungry as often - a nice side effect to this is weight loss - the excess weight has melted off me - without any more exercise.
  • I have no cravings for the "junk food"
    • none
    • nope
    • not even for chocolate


I have broken the food chemists hold over me!  You can't tell me what to do Kraft!

These days the closest I get to junk food is "Hamburger Mondays":
  • Rudi's Hamburger Buns - can't remember which version but they are vegan and gluten free
  • Hillary's Eat Well Adzuki Bean Burger - Green Chili and Cumin flavor
  • Hillary's Eat Well Original Veggies Bites
  • Daiya Cheddar cheese - dairy free and resembles Velveeta - surprisingly tasty!
  • Vegenaise - the Vegan's version of Mayo






Does it taste like a traditional Hamburger?  

NO!

But if it did - that would freak me out -> "remember not eating animal friends or anything that really tastes like animal friends"

It is pretty good ... 

The most surprising part is the "cheese" and the "mayo" - both taste like the real deal!

A great meal when I want a change of pace.

~Kelly











No comments:

Post a Comment