Monday, September 2, 2013

A Fairly New Vegan and an Omnivore Have Dinner...and Breakfast

Dinner

Breakfast

This was yesterday's Dinner and Breakfast ; a feast for both of us - obviously, with different food.

For Him:
  • Eggs w/green onions, bacon and milk
  • Filet Mignon with a baked potato and all the fixins' and tea
For Her:
  • Half an avocado w/garlic sea salt, watermelon, banana and half a grapefruit
  • Adzuki bean soup with butternut squash, onion, porcini mushrooms and some veggie stock powder (vegan and gluten free)

During a recent rant extolling the virtues of a Vegan lifestyle, Husband remarked "You want me to become Vegan too!"

I responded "NO!  I want everyone on the planet to be Vegan!"

...But ranting at anyone rarely convinces them of anything.

And since my goal is to "do no harm"* to any living creature and emotional harm is just the same - my ranting has stopped.

[*Ahimsa - sanskrit for cause no injury, do no harm]

So how do we deal, as a team - as a couple with my Vegan lifestyle?

Honestly, we are still working out the kinks, but a couple of things we are doing is:
  • we each cook our own food (although I will share any veggie I have ;)
  • we are more flexible about eating out 
    • Husband will venture out to a salad bar - which he always liked anyway
    • I will accept that sometimes I am just going to have french fries

It's a journey, a work in progress, an adventure!




2 comments:

  1. Your soup looks delicious! For dinner, I would totally pick your bowl... :-)

    For breakfast, I would take his eggs and all of your food. I'd be afraid that without some protein I'd be starving an hour later.

    This has me wondering...What would be some acceptable proteins for a vegan breakfast? Is peanut butter vegan? On toast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most nut butter [almond, peanut, cashew, sunflower] are Vegan - make sure you read the labels. You can also get free apps from Itunes or Android to help with identifying brands that are Vegan. Surprisingly many of those mysterious almost unpronounceable ingredients on labels can be made from animal by-products

      I have been using Whole Foods as my go-to grocery store because the products they carry make it easy to be Vegan - everything is labeled Vegan if it is.

      For a nut butter free of preservatives many healthy grocery stores have a grinder in the "peanut butter aisle" - grind however much you want at a time - and it's normally cheaper than the already prepared jars.

      Also if you aren't caught up on having "breakfast foods for breakfast" you can also have some left over dinner - that soup is loaded with protein in the form of those adzuki beans ;)

      Delete