Sunday, September 1, 2013

So...what "do" you eat?

That is a question I have been getting the past few weeks from my friends.

One of my wonderful friends asked me one day what I was having for dinner.

I said something like "lentils with onions and roasted broccoli on the side"

She looked at me and said "that's just a bunch of sides"

Well...yeah.  But that really is all about perspective and changing up your thinking a bit.

So what do I eat?

  • Fruit
  • Veggies
  • Legumes
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Oil (in the form of extra virgin olive oil)
  • Water
  • Coconut Water
  • Tea
  • Coffee
  • Soy Creamer
  • Vegan Sugar

I eat organic where I can - I try really hard to keep it organic - I try really hard to stay way from those pesticides and GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) products.

I also prefer to eat as close to the Earth as I can - I could very easily go into the faux meat/cheese/frozen foods and live perfectly Vegan.  But part of the Vegan lifestyle I am enjoying is the fresh produce.  

This week's groceries include:
  • bananas
  • apples
  • 1 grapefruit
  • 1 avocado
  • porcini mushrooms
  • 1 onion
  • 1 sweet potato
  • organic raw trail mix
  • dried beans
  • coconut water
  • butternut squash
  • Hillary's Eat Well Veggie Bites from the frozen food dept 
  • watermelon
  • cantaloupe
  • carrots
  • hummus
The mushrooms and onion will be sauteed sometime this weekend and put into a soup that will include butternut squash and beans.  A big pot of that will keep me fed all week.

I haven't got into a lot of recipes yet .... when first starting out on this Vegan adventure I knew that to make it "stick" I needed to make it simple for myself and not try to cook every night.  That may very well change - I do have a couple of cookbooks arriving next week from Amazon.



4 comments:

  1. You should open a restaurant: "Cosmic Moonbeam's House of Sides". In Dallas you would have a monopoly, I promise. :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL .... going to "copyright" that now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lentils are one of my all-time most favorite foods...and so inexpensive! Trader Joe's has pink lentils that taste wonderful cooked in the curry simmer sauce (it's marked vegan). Takes something like 20 minutes - great in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really like lentils and they are super cheap....I get them from Whole Foods in the "get it yourself out of giant bins" aisle. I have not had any kind of curry before - maybe I will get adventurous !

      Delete