Saturday, October 26, 2013

How I joined a Church .... and then quit.


Life is a journey....a path that wanders about and doesn't always end up where you though it would.  Decisions made happily one day are regrets the next...ok maybe this is just me and my "try anything once" way of living...that's kind of how I ended up with pate on my sandwich today...

I have left the church I just joined and moved my donation to Joyce Meyer Ministries because she feeds 72,000 hungry people world wide per day .... I got a ultra super soft spot for starving children.  I will not say anything bad about my former church because their super sized theatrics bring unchurched people in the doors and they often get saved - and that's the point of the Good News.  Jesus also said take care of the poor and the needy.

Matthew 25:35-40
New Living Translation (NLT)

 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.  I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?  Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?  When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,[a] you were doing it to me!’

and

John 13:34-35
New Living Translation (NLT)
 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.  Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.

Proverbs also addresses this issue:

Proverbs 21:13
New Living Translation (NLT)

Those who shut their ears to the cries of the poor will be ignored in their own time of need.

Proverbs 19:17
New Living Translation (NLT)

If you help the poor, you are lending to the Lord-  and he will repay you!

Proverbs 22:9 (ESV)

Whoever has a bountiful eye will be blessed, 
for he shares his bread with the poor.

Proverbs 31:8–9 (ESV)
Open your mouth for the mute, 
for the rights of all who are destitute. 
 Open your mouth, judge righteously, 
defend the rights of the poor and needy

I enjoyed my new church....I loved the lights and the theatrical display. It was attention grabbing and fun and full of energy.

But...

Every time I looked at the flashing lights, the stage productions, the giant buildings...

For me...

I just saw $ that could be used to feed the poor...the starving and dying children and their families worldwide.

*I get that all those lights, all that worship music, all the stage productions....I get that it draws the crowds and the crowds get saved and that's the whole point and that if they stopped all of sudden that would be could be lost and some may not get saved....I'm not saying I have any answers.*

I am just letting you in on what my heart said.

The more I thought .... the more I cringed .... and then cringed ... and then cringed some more.  Could I really financially support a church ... one that needed a tremendous amount of financial support to just keep the lights on...?  Could I bury the tension in my heart?  Could I just close my eyes and enjoy the worship experience?

I could not.  I tried.  I really tried.

I took care of all the "financial" switching while on a break at work and told Husband about it when I got home.  

And that tiny part of my heart sighed...

Joyce is a great teacher and her Ministry is transparent.

Every year we get a annual report from Joyce Meyer Ministries listing exactly where the money went for the year.  The one I just linked to is from 2012...posted on her website...easy to find.  That's nice.

So that's where my heart is. 

My life is a journey of discovery.  I try new things and contemplate new ideas all the time.  Jesus is so good to me and I am so undeserving.  

In a couple of week a friend and I are going to "try out" some churches in the area ... to see what else is out there.  Hey, it's Texas - there's a church on every corner :)

K









4 comments:

  1. Very cool that you're following your heart. That's what life is supposed to be about ... living authentically. Not worrying what other people will think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another friend who just quit going to her church (of long standing!) for this same reason. She wanted her funds to go directly to those in need.

    I grew up Southern Baptist, but now I'm a member of an Episcopal church - they match my left leaning social issues better than the baptists :) I'm a delegate to our local convention this weekend. It's in downtown Cincinnati & it costs $26 to park at the convention hotel where we're staying. Yikes! On the other hand, we're pretty low-key otherwise, and the Episcopal Relief & Development fund does a lot of good work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you found a place where you feel comfortable

      Delete